Wednesday, April 4, 2012

D is for Devils Advocate ...........


A-Z Letter Challenge....Letter D

~~~~~~~~~~
dev·il's ad·vo·cate

noun 
devil's advocates, plural

A person who expresses a contentious opinion in order to provoke debate or test the strength of the opposing arguments
- the interviewer will need to play devil's advocate to put the other side's case forward

The popular title of the person appointed by the Roman Catholic Church to challenge a proposed beatification or canonization, or the verification of a miracle
~source-dictonary.com~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am my own best defender. A staunch advocate for why I am always right and never wrong. I am a master manipulator, a expert in excuses. I can talk myself out of most things that are uncomfortable or displeasing to me. I am so skilled at it that I convince myself and those around me of why it is actually the best road for me...when i know its not. This why I am in the situations I am in ... this why I am unhealthy. So I have decided to become my very own "Devils Advocate". Enough is Enough. I was tired of lying to myself, convincing myself, condoning my bad habits and behavior. I need to become my own devils advocate to tell me what i NEED to hear not what I WANT to hear. I can no longer go on living the way i have been living...i need to hear that unappealing other voice...telling me why i don't need that bread or cake or how i DO need to work out when I am convincing myself that I am too tired or busy or its raining out haha. (any excuse to get out of working out) When my soft side was telling me that 'i will do it tomorrow' or 'take it easy cause you work so hard' , my devils advocate side will tell me that there will never be a tomorrow, the time is NOW and that if I don't do it I will die...YES DIE!... my devils advocate will not be fooled by my excuses or whining, She knows that heart disease, diabetes, breast , bone and thyroid cancer runs in my family and that it is only a matter of time until I will have one of those diseases...she will stand firm in her convictions despite being unpopular, depsite my unwavering convictions to the contrary......but in the end i know she is right and that I need that voice inside my head or I will never get healthy...and I will Die.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, this is a good choice for 'D' entry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to recruit your devil's advocate-- there are a few things I'm procrastinating on that I need to get to. Even my inner devil's advocate is on strike over there in the corner!! LOL :)

    Great D Post!!

    Cheers, Jenn
    http://www.wine-n-chat.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post - I need to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! Looking at my family history was a good motivator for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great D post!!

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fabulous "D" blog. I think I am the chief of the procrastinator tribe. I have had to recruit a devils advocate to get me moving. I have health issues so it just gives me that many more reasons I can pull out to justify something I really should be doing now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post! And a huge development of character! I know someone whose Devil's Advocate has his own Devil's Advocate. It doesn't work out very well.

    ReplyDelete